“My parents showed me the value of giving back to the community, and this scholarship rewards a young person with the same spirit.”
– Julie Sloan, who launched the scholarship in honor of her parents
Youth Service Scholarship
The Don and Jean Sloan Youth Service Scholarship is awarded through Youth Volunteer Corps Headquarters. The $1,000 scholarship is open to active YVC volunteers who have demonstrated excellence in volunteerism and leadership and who are committed to making a difference in their communities.
2013: Zeeyaan Somani, Calgary
2014: Madison Fitzgerald, Kansas City
2015: Alyssa Barrett, Danbury
2016: Sophia Mauro, Kansas City
2017: XianHui Zhang, Philadelphia
2018: Jessica Vu, Calgary
2019: Micah Chen, Danbury
- Must be a youth volunteer with a Youth Volunteer Corps program.
- Must be a senior in high school or a first-year college/university student to apply.
- Must demonstrate good character and leadership.
- Must have plans to continue volunteer service in college and beyond.
- Preference will be given to youth volunteers who have completed at least 100 hours of service during a two-year period with any YVC program throughout the U.S. or Canada.
Scholarship recipients will be selected based on community service activities and volunteer work with YVC, as well as a demonstration of leadership.
What You Need
- Scholarship application. Please ensure that your application is submitted successfully—you will be redirected to a page thanking you for submitting your application to confirm that your application was successfully submitted.
- Two references (not family members) who fill out the reference form. (You are responsible for ensuring that their reference arrives on time.)
- If you live in Canada, you can use this Canadian Grade Point Average Converter to convert your grades to the U.S. standard.
Apply Now! Application deadline is April 30.
Questions about the application process? Contact Chelan David at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-472-9822.